MENU

protect historical places from fire,
without damaging them...

History


Count András Bethlen, Minister of Agriculture, is said to have been the denominator of the place, which he discovered while hunting, in 1892. In honor of a wealthy noble lady, Lilla Vay, he gave the name Lillafüred to this place of spectacular beauty.

In spite of all challenges because of the world economic crisis at the end of the 1920s, the decision on building the hotel was made, and Kálmán Lux, the famous architect of that time was commissioned to prepare the plans. His idea was to build the hotel in the Renaissance style of the 1400s, bringing back the atmosphere of the reign of King Matthias.

The plans also included what the surroundings of the building should look like (e.g., hanging garden, landscaping, sledging and bob courses, ski slopes and ski-jump ramps with ski lifts). The Palace hotel was completed in 1929 but was actually opened only in 1930 with a moderate series of celebrations.

The hotel was operated by the state for a long time after it had been opened. In World War II, the hotel was converted into a military hospital for healing wounded Russian soldiers. After the right to manage the hotel passed to the National Council of Trade Unions, it was a recreation house owned by the National Council of Trade Unions for 40 years, where people with a special voucher could spend their holidays. In 2015, Hotel Palace was entered into the Register of Hungaricums as a valuable national asset.

Lillafüred Palace Hotel is located in Lillafüred in the heart of the Bükk Mountains., a settlement 10 kilometers from Miskolc. The castle built in neorenaissance style between 1927 and 1930 is surrounded by a hanging garden and a large park. The view to Szinva Stream and Hámori Lake is made even more magnificent by the murmur of the Szinva Stream waterfall in the immediate neighborhood of the hotel

Challenges

Due to its age and historical significance, the building faces a higher risk of fire spreading rapidly and causing more damage than modern structures. Therefore, it required a fire detection system that was reliable, secure, and would preserve its historical integrity.

Additionally, architectural constraints prevented any infrastructure modifications, such as cabling, that could harm the building's original structure. In order to prevent any damage to the building, a wireless system should have been preferred to protect its structural integrity. Given these challenges, Teknim Wireless Fire Alarm Systems were chosen to fulfill the building's fire detection requirements.

Challenges

At the Lillafüred Palace Hotel, a fire detection system was meticulously designed to protect the historical structure without causing any damage. In areas where cabling was not feasible, including the Hunyadi Restaurant, Mátyás Restaurant, Lobby, and Reception, a wireless system was deployed, including 59 pcs of TWD-1850 Wireless Multiple Detectors, 16 pcs of TWS-1815 sounders with beacons, and 6 pcs of TWB-1866 manual call points. The remaining sections of the building were secured with a wired system.

The hotel’s exceptionally thick walls presented challenges for wireless signal transmission, while the continuous movement of guests further affected signal stability. To address these issues, 2 pieces of TWM-1886 Routers, operating on a 24V DC power supply without requiring additional connections, were strategically placed in key locations. This solution ensured reliable signal transmission despite the architectural and environmental constraints.

To preserve the hotel's aesthetic elegance and ensure the wireless devices remained discreet, they were carefully integrated into the interior design, making them visually unobtrusive to guests while maintaining functionality.